For quite a while now, the adorable little Peppa Pig has become a part of my mom life. Peppa, her little brother George and Mommy and Daddy Pig have taken over almost every aspect of our lives. That was certainly not my intention, or even a distant possibility as long as Minnie Mouse was competing.
Choosing Peppa Pig over Minnie Mouse
It had to be Minnie! The adorable, elegant Minnie mouse who loves PINK!!! I even had all the ideas for a Minnie mouse birthday party in my head months ago. But it was a surprise – almost a shock – when Lil Sis ditched Minnie for Peppa. How in the world could anyone not like Minnie? Well, she is loved in our house but a little less than Peppa.
At first, I wasn’t ready to believe it. But as I sat down to watch and read Peppa Pig with Lil Sis, it became very clear why Peppa was chosen over Minnie. The refined, polished and elegant Minnie might appeal to my tastes. But kids love the naughty, messy, silly Peppa because they can relate so much! While Minnie (and most of her concerns) are those of a young grown-up, Peppa is exactly what our kids are.
Minnie Mouse vs Peppa Pig
So what details actually set them apart so much? Even the simple sketches and 2D animations in Peppa Pig make a greater impact than the extremely detailed hig-res 3D animation of Minnie Mouse and her surroundings. Here’s what I deduced.
1. Minnie is the ‘perfect little girl’ while Peppa is not-so-perfect and goofy at times. She quarrels, says sorry and makes a lot of mistakes. Not surprising why kids are able to relate to her much more than Minnie.
2. Minnie spends ALL her time with friends. Peppa has plenty of friends too but she has a FAMILY. Toddlers and preschoolers spend a lot of time with their families and find Peppa’s family to be almost like their own.
3. Minnie runs a shop while Peppa goes to school.
4. Minnie likes elegant picnics while Peppa loves jumping in muddy puddles!
5. Minnie can bake a cake and a Pizza while Peppa and George enjoy chocolate cakes and Pizza made by Granny Pig.
6. Minnie tends to her garden while Peppa and George are little helpers in Grandpa Pig’s garden.
7. Minnie and Daisy drive off in their cars while Peppa and George are driven around by Mommy or Daddy.
8. Minnie loves PINK (Oh, I love her!!!). Her Bowtoons episodes are straight out of cotton candyland. But kids love the bright colors in Peppa Pig. While Peppa herself wears a red dress, her cheerful yellow house and bright sun and grass outdoors catches the kids’ imagination.
9. Minnie works on the computer while Peppa and George are not allowed to use Mommy Pig’s computer without supervision. (All parents need to thank Peppa Pig for this lesson lol!)
10. Minnie is a neat freak. She can put my cleaning and organization skills to shame! Peppa and George can clutter the room with their toys and duly put them away when asked to, by Mommy and Daddy Pig.
We Love Minnie too!
Minnie is still very much loved and has always been the most recognized cartoon character ever. My kids love her voice, the way she talks and go ga-ga over her cute ‘Bowtique’. Lil Sis doesn’t sleep without seeing 3 favorite episodes of Bowtoons. She is everyone’s girl of dreams!
But children see themselves in the not-so-perfect Peppa! They like how real she is. Whether she is quarreling and then making up with her best friend Suzy the Sheep or helping find Daddy Pig’s glasses, she is exactly like them. Her life is all about her family, her school, studies, family outings and a whole lot of play time. Her problems and concerns are the same as my kids.
The oh-so-chic and very cute Minnie appeals to Mommy, but silly and funny Peppa makes her way right into the kids’ hearts 🙂